What are the deadlines for Open Enrollment 2024? Learn about key deadlines and special enrollment opportunities for the 2024 Open Enrollment Period.
Open Enrollment 2024 is right around the corner, providing your workforce with an important opportunity to choose a health insurance plan for the upcoming year. During this period, employees are able to review their healthcare options and choose the plan that will best suit their families’ needs.
Here are the most important deadlines to watch out for during Open Enrollment 2024.
What are the deadlines for Open Enrollment 2024?
For most states, the Open Enrollment period for health coverage that begins on January 1, 2024 starts on November 1, 2023 and runs until January 15, 2024. In order for employees to guarantee coverage in 2024, they must enroll in their health plan by this January 15th date.
However, certain states have different deadlines than the ones listed above:
- California: November 1, 2023, through January 31, 2024
- Idaho: October 15, 2023, through December 15, 2023
- Massachusetts: November 1, 2023, through January 23, 2024
- New Jersey: November 1, 2023, through January 31, 2024
- New York: November 16th, 2023 through January 31st, 2024
- Rhode Island: November 1st, 2023, through January 31, 2024
- Washington D.C.: November 1, 2023, through January 31, 2024
Special enrollment periods for Open Enrollment 2024
Outside of the deadlines listed above, there are qualifying life events that allow people to qualify for special enrollment periods. You may be eligible for a special enrollment period if any of the following situations apply to you:
- A change in household including
- A new baby, an adoption or placing a child in foster care
- Death in the family
- A change in residence that involves moving to:
- A new home in a new ZIP code or county
- The U.S. from a foreign country or U.S. territory
- A new school (if you are a student)
- A new place to live or work
- Loss of health insurance
- If you or a member of your household has lost health insurance in the last 60 days or is going to lose health insurance in the upcoming 60 days you may qualify for the Special Enrollment Period.
- Gaining membership to a federally recognized tribe
- Becoming a U.S. citizen
- Leaving incarceration
- Beginning or ending service as an AmeriCorps State and National, VISTA, or NCCC member.
For more information and updated information about the Open Enrollment period, refer to healthcare.gov.
To learn more about Best Money Moves Financial Wellness Platform, let’s schedule a call. Contact us and we’ll reach out to you soon.